Having trouble keeping track of all the professional development opportunities available for Maine educators this summer?
To simplify things, here’s a list of summer professional development opportunities — with links to more information — with some level of sponsorship by the Maine Department of Education:
- Maine Schoolsite Health Promotion Program “Wellness” Conference, June 25-27, Sugarloaf USA.
For teams of school staff members interested in fostering healthy school environments.
- ESL Summer Academy, June 26-28, University of Maine.
Offering both experienced and new educators of English Learners the chance to engage collaboratively in research-based practices and share their ideas for more effective academic language support of English Learners.
- World Languages in Maine Schools Summer Institute, June 27-30, University of Maine at Farmington.
Focus is on World Languages in Maine Schools: Standards-Based Instruction and Assessment Initiative.
- Positive Youth Development Institute, July 23-24, Husson University.
To bring together professionals from the K-12 system, after-school and summer programs, and the juvenile justice system; students; parents and others to discuss and share practices that offer all children opportunities to succeed.
- School Nurse Summer Institute, July 24-26, Bates College
Training for school nurses on a wide range of topics, from concussions and social media to celiac disease and healthy relationships.
- Maine Learning Technology Initiative Summer Institute, July 24-26, Bowdoin College.
For all teachers interested in effectively and safely incorporating technology into learning as a way to make it engaging and customized to the needs of each student.
- Maine DOE Summer Literacy Institute, Aug. 20-22, Augusta Civic Center.
To bring together teams of educators to work on school and district plans for implementing the Common Core for English language arts with a focus on literacy.
The conferences listed above are only those that have been announced so far in the Maine DOE Newsroom. Outside organizations are also offering numerous opportunities for professional development.
Last updated: May 16, 2012