That’s why plans are in the works for a number of summer professional development opportunities that will offer educators a chance to catch up with colleagues, do some planning for the coming year and learn about promising practices that could benefit their students.
To help you keep track, we’ve put together a list of professional development offerings this summer that have some level of sponsorship by the Department of Education and have been announced in the Maine DOE Newsroom. Be sure to bookmark the link below, because we’ll add to the list as more professional development opportunities are organized and announced.
— Stephen Bowen
- Consolidated IDEA Part B applications no longer allowed
- Rule Change Adoption: Chapter 101, Maine Unified Special Education Regulations
- Rule Change Adoption: Chapter 64, School Facilities
Please note: We generally provide notice of requirements only once. Please check the Reporting Calendar (link below) regularly for a list of ALL upcoming items.
- No new reporting requirements this week.
NEWS & VIEWS
Machias Memorial High School juniors Katie and Emily Morse decided nothing would stop them in their quest to learn Japanese. At their guidance counselor’s suggestion, the twins have used their Maine Learning Technology Initiative laptops to enroll in online Japanese courses and study the language and culture that have interested them since they were seven. | More
More than 300 adults in the Piscataquis Valley have earned high school diplomas, others have earned GEDs and many more have gained valuable workforce skills over the past six years thanks to the joint efforts of four school districts in Piscataquis and Penobscot counties. | More
A new, 72-page guide from the Maine Commission for Community Service aims to help Maine teachers engage their students by integrating service-learning projects into instruction. The guide, called “Service-Learning in Maine” is available at no cost. | More
- Federal grant covers charter school implementation costs
- NAEP assessment administrators sought
- American Wanderer camp slots, scholarships open to military kids
Upcoming professional development opportunities
- Literacy conference emphasizes Common Core planning
- Registration deadline extended: Maine Schoolsite Health Promotion Conference
- Recap: Summer professional development from the Maine DOE
- Film, discussion, workshop series focuses on bullying
- Summer archaeological field school offered in South Berwick