Through a Memorandum of Understanding with the Ministry of Education in the Republic of China (Taiwan), the Maine Department of Education invites new and experienced licensed teachers to apply to the Teaching in Taiwan program. The selected educators will teach English to students in Taiwan in public elementary and junior high schools (grades K-9) for one academic year beginning in August 2013.
Each Maine teacher is paired with a Taiwanese classroom teacher. In addition to providing English language instruction, teachers work with Taiwanese educators to develop curriculum, prepare lesson plans and teaching materials, conduct classes, and evaluate student progress.
Applications are now being accepted for the 2013-14 school year. The application deadline is April 22.
Maine teachers with one or more of the following credentials may apply to participate:
- Elementary certification K-3 or K-8
- Early childhood certification
- Middle level certification with an English language arts endorsement
- Certification in English as a Second Language K-12
- Certification in a world language K-12
- Certification as a literacy specialist
Frequently asked questions and the application package are available at www.maine.gov/education/lres/language/initiatives.html#international.