From the Maine Department of Education
With the window for giving the new online Maine Educational Assessment (MEA) for Mathematics and English Language Arts/Literacy developed by Smarter Balanced opening in less than two weeks, we want to make sure you have the resources you need to feel prepared for a successful test administration.
On our assessment website, you can find an extensive library of administration materials. With so many supports available, we wanted to draw your attention to a few including:
- The Online Test Administration Manual, which includes information on the rules of online testing and ensuring security, testing time and recommended order of administration, establishing appropriate testing conditions, tasks to complete prior to testing, details of the actual testing administration, scripts for Test Administrators, and how to respond to any testing improprieties, irregularities and/or breaches.
- Our Frequently Asked Questions, which provide answers to common queries on topics like roles for testing, participation requirements, paper-pencil vs. computer-adaptive testing, accessibility and much more.
- A guide specifically outlining supports for English learners as well as the test directions translated into 17 different languages.
Notices and Reporting
- Regional School Calendar, due April 14 (Reminder)
News & Views
PRESQUE ISLE — Beginning this fall, students attending the Maine School of Science and Mathematics will be able to take advantage of the most comprehensive early-college pathway in Maine. | More
The Maine DOE Office of Special Services is encouraging special education administrators to save the date for the Department’s upcoming annual training on the Local Entitlement Application. | More
In preparation for Maine’s application for a renewal of its existing ESEA waiver, the Department continues to seek feedback on how the State’s current accountability and improvement system is serving Maine’s students and schools. | More
Registration remains underway for the National Center and State Collaborative Alternate Assessment (NCSC) that will be used to assess students with the most significant cognitive disabilities in mathematics and English language arts. | More
Applications are now being accepted to participate in the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) in the 2015-16 school year. | More
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has released a final rule establishing national professional standards for all school nutrition employees. | More
LATEST DOE Career/Project Opportunities
- Education Specialist II – Student Assistance Coordinator
- Education Specialist II – Early Childhood Development – Pre-School Expansion Project Manager (Limited Period)
- Education Specialist III – Adult Education Consultant Special Projects Director
- Request for Proposal: Maine College Transition Services
- Request for Proposal: MLTI Student Conference
- Request for Proposal: Educator Credentialing System
- Request for Proposal: 21st Century Community Learning Center Program
- View current Child Development Services employment opportunities here