The Maine Department of Education will be hosting three trainings across the state to assist districts in using TransACT, a resource that supports parent and family engagement. Use of TransACT is provided to Maine districts at no cost, sponsored by the Department’s Office of ESEA Federal Programs.
Research has shown that when parents and families engage in the education of their children, the children tend to perform better academically. TransACT’s Parent Notices are an important tool to engage parents and families, especially those with limited proficiency in English. This presentation provides:
- Information about the TransACT Parent Notices purchased for you by the Maine Department of Education;
- Directions for how to access those Parent Notices in English and other languages;
- Highlights of the importance of communicating in a language that parents and family members can understand;
- Information on how to identify important notices that need to be sent, who to send them to, and when they need to be sent; and
- Information about other resources available from TransACT.
Dr. David Holbrook earned his Ph.D. in linguistics at the University of the West Indies in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago and has over 20 years experience working with speakers of other languages. He has lived in five countries and worked in more than 15. He taught ESL at Colorado State University for approximately two years. He spent nearly six years at the Wyoming Department of Education, where he held positions as Federal Programs Division Director, Title I Director, and Title III Director. He trained with the U.S. Department of Education and participated in federal monitoring of Title III in five states. He served nine years with the National Council of State Title III Directors, two years as President. He was designated as their first Honorary Member and now serves as their Executive Director. His current position is as Executive Director, Federal Compliance and State Relationships for TransACT Communications.
November 5, 2018
1945 Congress St, Portland, ME 04102
November 5, 2018
108 Odlin Rd, Bangor, ME 04401
November 6, 2018
University of Maine at Machias
116 Obrien Ave, Machias, ME 04654