Please share this notice with all educators.
Rule Chapter 115 reminders – New Chapter 115 Part I regulations went into effect on July 14. The Department encourages all educators to be familiar with the laws governing certification. Rule chapters can be found on the Secretary of State’s Rule Chapters in order by chapter number.
Special Note for Educators:
- Create an account – All educators who have not yet created an account in the new online certification system are encouraged to do so. By creating an account, educators are ensuring the certification team has the most recent contact information available. Step by step instructions on how to create an account are available on this webpage.
- Please ensure applications are complete upon submission – Submitting incomplete applications or parts of applications at different times will result in significant delays in processing.
- Two week processing time for CHRC – Criminal History Records Checks (CHRC) applications are being processed in approximately two weeks. If it has been longer than two weeks and if there was significant time between submission of application and the fingerprint appointment, please contact the certification office at 207-624-6600.
- Please do not call the certification office to get a status update on your application – The bulk of calls are regarding this question. The certification team can process applications faster with less calls regarding status updates. The same information can be found in the new online Maine Education Information System (MEIS), including:
- If your application is not in the MEIS system, it means that the application has not yet been manually entered.
- Once the application is entered, applicants can see the application listed in the system. After evaluation of the application, either a deficiency letter will be mailed listing the items still needed or a certificate will be issued.
- If the certificate has been issued it will be listed under “Certificates” in the MEIS system.
- Call wait times are typically between 0 – 30 minutes.
- Since January 1, 2018 – 17,445 applications have been evaluated.
- There are currently approximately 3,000 applications in queue to be evaluated.
- The certification office posts updates on Maine DOE’s Official Facebook and Twitter pages, and in the DOE newsroom.