Maine employers from all sectors of the economy came to the Blaine House in Augusta last week with a clear message, though not the one most might have expected.
The economy is slow, but we have job openings, the employers told Gov. Paul LePage. More than 20,000 Maine people are receiving unemployment benefits, but we can’t find the workers we need, they said.
In other words, what we have in Maine isn’t only a jobs deficit. It’s a skills deficit, too. We have more available jobs in some sectors than we do workers with the skills needed to do them.
— Stephen Bowen
- No Administrative Letters this week
- Infinite Campus changes lunch eligibility reporting
- Testing dates and requirements for 2011-12
- Migrant education survey updated, ready for distribution
- Webinar offers more on bath salts
Please note: To reduce clutter, we now provide notice of requirements only once. Please check the Reporting Calendar (link below) regularly for a list of ALL upcoming items.
- USDA Food Extras, Sept. 18
- Claim for Reimbursement of Child Nutrition Services, Oct. 8
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certification Salary Supplement Report, Oct. 15
NEWS & VIEWS
Maine selected to lead effort on new science standards
Maine’s leadership role in developing the Next Generation Science Standards allows the state a seat at the table when it comes to setting science standards that help teachers deliver engaging instruction that sparks inquiry and investigation. | Press Release | Science conference to address ‘new directions’
Maine steps up Common Core standards work
The Maine Department of Education’s content specialists are busy working with teachers to transition to the Common Core State Standards. Many of the resources they’re using are on the Department website. | More
Robotics season is underway in Maine
School teams across Maine are already hard at work building and programming robots for challenging competitions that stress team work and technical know-how. Interested in starting a team at your school? | Robotics season underway | Grant seeks to grow VEX Robotics
- Forums statewide to address school readiness
- Maine aquarium to host career day
- Open house to show off school gardens
- Free online courses focus on deeper learning