School administrative units (SAUs) should begin preparing data for the EF-S-05, which includes Part 1: Special Education Child Count as well as Part 2: Special Education Personnel Employed, Contracted, and Needed.
Part 1: Special Education Child Count
Student enrollment data in Infinite Campus State Edition (ICSE) will be used for Part 1 collection again this year
Please verify your Special Education Students for Federal Count report and ensure that all student records in Infinite Campus are updated by Oct. 15, as the database will automatically refresh between Oct. 1 and Oct. 15. The first day that the Special Education Federal Count Certification can be submitted to Maine DOE is Oct. 16.
Two reports in ICSE will assist you in finalizing your Special Education Child Count:
- “Special Education Students for Federal Count” – An Excel document used to verify students included in your Child Count. Column Q of the Excel document will tell you if the student counts for your school administrative unit – a “1” means the student counts, a “0” means the student does not count at this time. If Column Q is a “0,” then there will be a note in Column R explaining why the student does not count.
- “Special Education Federal Count Certification” – A PDF document that requires the signature of the Special Education Director (or, for cases in which there is no Special Ed Director, the Superintendent or a DOE Commissioner-appointed administrative contact), certifying that the Child Count, as it appears in the Special Education Students for Federal Count is accurate. After the Special Education Count Certification is signed and dated, a scanned PDF attachment of the certification must be emailed to email@example.com. If scanning the certification is not possible, the certification should be faxed to 624-6651.
To access these reports:
- Log into ICSE
- Be certain that “Year” is set to “14-15”
- Under “ME State Reporting,” open the “Special Education Reports” folder
- Click on the report you’d like to download Click “Generate Report”
- Depending on the web browser you’re using, a dialog box may appear prompting you choose whether you’d like to open or save the report – click “Open”
- The Special Education Students report will open in Excel; the Special Education Count Certification will open as a PDF
Part 2: Special Education Personnel Employed, Contracted, and Needed
The Part 2 data collection reflects the requirements of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004). The Maine Educational Data Management System (MEDMS) database will be used for Part 2 again this year.
As with Part 1, reporting for Part 2 opens Oct. 1, and SAUs must complete Part 2 no later than Oct. 31. The reports in MEDMS will not refresh after that time and the data will be counted as it appears in the report.
SAUs, charter schools and schools that are 60 percent publically funded must complete both sections of Part 2:
- EF-S-05 Part 2 Section A – Section A is used to collect the full-time equivalency (FTE) of special education teachers employed or contracted to provide special education services to students with disabilities ages 3 through 20. The Maine Department of Education, Office of Special Services has streamlined the data collection to include only the information needed to report to the federal government.
- EF-S-05 Part 2 Section B –Section B is used to collect the full-time equivalency (FTE) of related services personnel employed or contracted to provide related services for children with disabilities ages 3 through 20.
If you have questions regarding the EF-S-05, which can be completed here, please contact Shawn Collier in the Department’s Office of Special Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 624-6615. For ICSE technical issues, contact the MEDMS Help Desk at email@example.com or 624-6896.