Maine DOE is inviting current social studies teachers of all grades and geographic regions of the state to be part of the inaugural Social Studies Community Teacher-Leader Group. Interested applicants must apply by Oct. 30.
- Examine research-based practices that support student achievement of proficiency in Maine’s Learning Results for Social Studies.
- Develop a statewide plan in PK-12 social studies education to expand on the knowledge and skills of teachers in order to improve teaching and learning.
- Plan for and carry out a professional development opportunity to be delivered once at a regional event and once at a statewide summer event.
- Attend three day-long face-to-face sessions (Dec. 2, March 4, and May 4) in the classroom of the Holocaust and Human Rights Center on the University of Maine Augusta campus.
- Participate in two one-hour virtual meetings (in Jan. and Feb.; specific dates to be determined).
- Contribute to the development of a statewide plan for elevating the teaching and learning of social studies.
- Plan for and carry out a professional development offering in your region (sometime between March and May) and again at a statewide summer event (to be held one day the last week of June) in the greater Augusta area. The inclusion of formative assessment techniques and the sharing of at least one lesson plan will be expected.
Teacher-leaders will be compensated for workshops and reimbursed for travel. For more information and an application, please click here.
Contact the Department’s Social Studies Specialist Kristie Littlefield at email@example.com or 624-6828 with any questions.