From the Maine Department of Education
The Maine Charter School Commission announces two charter school applications are moving forward.
AUGUSTA – On Oct. 26, the public will have the opportunity to weigh-in on two public charter schools proposed to open in Maine the fall of 2016.
Earlier today, review team members presented their recommendations on the four applications to the Maine Charter School Commission which voted to advance applications from Acadia Academy of the Lewiston-Auburn area and Snow Pond Arts Academy in Sidney.
The entire seven member Commission will now consider the proposed public schools and hold in-person interviews and public hearings on each application later this month before voting on Nov. 17. At this meeting, the Commission will decide whether to enter into contract negotiations with each applicant or deny the application. All proceedings are open to the public.
Notices and Reporting
- Local Entitlement Report of Final Expenditures for FY14, due Oct. 30 (Reminder)
- Local Entitlement Year End Report for FY15, due Oct. 30 (Reminder)
- Report of Services to Students with Disabilities Part I (EF-S-05), due Oct. 31 (Reminder)
- Private School Oct 1 Enrollment Reporting (EF-M-13), due Oct. 31 (Reminder)
- EPS October 1 Enrollment Reporting, due Oct. 31 (Reminder)
News & Views
To better serve districts the Maine DOE is reintroducing Administrative Letters as an official form of communication. | More
The Maine DOE is undertaking two rulemakings related to health with public hearings scheduled for Nov. 2. | More
The Maine DOE is pleased to announce 12 school districts have joined the Department to open or expand high-quality public preschool programs in their communities. | More
The 2015-16 subsidy checks for General Purpose Aid for local schools will reflect adjustments for MaineCare Seed payments paid by the Maine DOE on behalf of school administrative units (SAUs). | More
The Maine DOE Office of Special Services is offering a training opportunity for elementary school math teachers focusing on improving math proficiency for students with disabilities. | More
On Oct. 12 the National Center for State Collaborative (NCSC), Maine’s 2015 alternate assessment for math and English language arts/literacy, made Student Reports available to all registered Test Coordinators. | More
Four Maine schools have been recognized as “beating the odds” by Newsweek magazine. | More
LATEST DOE Career/Project Opportunities
- Education Specialist II – Special Education – Special Purpose Schools and Out of District Placements (State Wards/State Agency Clients)
- Education Specialist II – Career and Technical Education
- Request for Proposals: Annual Conference and Meeting Management
- View current Child Development Services employment opportunities here