From the Maine Department of Education
Five schools and districts were in Massachusetts last week representing Maine at a regional conference on effective strategies for improving teaching and learning in the twenty-first century.
The schools were: Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, Foxcroft Academy, Nokomis Regional High School, Regional School Unit 2, and Windham High School. They were selected based on their exemplary work and extraordinary commitment to making sure every student has a chance to succeed and to make a positive contribution to the world in which they live.
Christine Hesler, director of curriculum, instruction and assessment for RSU 14, and Chris Howell, principal of Windham High School, received 2016 educational Champion awards from the New England Secondary School Consortium for their unique contributions to the effort to raise graduation rates, lower dropout rates, and send more students on to college and postsecondary certification programs in Maine.
Notices and Reporting Items
- Highly Qualified Teacher Data, due March 31 (Reminder)
- School Bus Purchase Report (EF-T-20: Quarter 3), due March 31 (Reminder)
News & Views
Maine DOE’s Title I team will be conducting additional regional roundtable meetings to support and assist districts in analyzing and evaluating current (school and classroom) family engagement strategies. | More
The Multi-State Alternate Assessment (MSAA) for mathematics and English language arts/literacy testing window opens Wednesday, March 30. | More
A Mt. Ararat High School student is off to Washington, D.C. in May for national competition after winning the 2016 Poetry Out Loud competition. | More
The Perloff Family Foundation, in partnership with the Maine Community Foundation, gifted 3D printers to more than 50 schools in Maine. | More
The Maine Mathematics and Science Alliance (MMSA) is seeking elementary and middle schools to become part of its WeatherBlur program. | More
LATEST DOE Career/Project Opportunities
- Education Specialist II – IDEA Grant Program – Fiscal Specialist for Special Education
- Management Analyst I – Fiscal Compliance Associate
- Request for Proposals: Maine Learning Technology Initiative Summer Institute
Request for Proposals: Summer Food Service Program Market Research
- Request for Proposals: 21st Century Community Learning Center Program
- View current Child Development Services employment opportunities here