From the Maine Department of Education
The Maine Department of Education is pleased to conclude the 2015-16 “Content Corner” collection with this third release of instructionally-focused articles for Maine educators. The third collection of articles completes this year’s focus on effective practices that support student learning in the content areas.
The third collection includes:
- Early Childhood: Using calendars in preschool, why or why not?
- English Language Arts/Literacy: Close reading with text-dependent questions: conducting a text investigation
- Health Education and Physical Education: Feedback: A valuable teaching strategy for health education and physical education, part 2
- Mathematics: It’s all about the questioning!
- Science and Social Studies: Clear learning targets and feedback strengthen social studies and science learning
- Visual and Performing Arts: Individual assessment in the large group ensemble
- World Languages: Creating a discourse community in the world language classroom
Notices and Reporting Items
News & Views
Although she believed firmly in the value of a good education and always planned to finish high school and attend college, Michelle DeIulio says she discovered at an early age that traditional school just didn’t work for her. | More
This month in Tennessee, Maine’s State Director of Career and Technical Education will be honored as the 2016 Maine DECA Association Administrator of the Year. | More
The Maine Department of Education is accepting recommendations through April 28 for the 2016 Maine Educator Talent Pool. | More
Maine DOE invites school transportation teams to attend regional safety conferences beginning next week
Each spring school transportation teams participate in six statewide regional school transportation safety conferences. | More
ACCESS for ELLs 2.0 score reports were made available online on April 8 and printed reports will be delivered on April 15. | More
Maine educators shared their stories about personalizing learning at the New England Secondary Schools Consortium conference in March. | More
During this year’s Teacher Appreciation Week (May 2-6), the Department wants to extend a personal thank you to some great teachers. | More
The Maine DECA 48th State Career Development Conference was held recently. | More