The Maine Department of Education (DOE) is currently recruiting educators to serve on item review panels for the eMPowerME Assessment in English language arts (ELA) and mathematics. The work will be facilitated by Measured Progress on June 19-21, 2018 in Portland, Maine. Maine DOE is seeking educators with expertise in English language arts and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 to serve as content reviewers. Selected panelists will review eMPower materials for Measured Progress’s content specialists, who are eager to receive advisory feedback from Maine educators, in addition to the feedback Measured Progress seeks from its national panel.
A content reviewer’s job is to review items, passages, graphics and other stimuli based on criteria such as the following:
- Is the content of a reading passage appropriate for the age/grade level of students?
- Is a stimulus (e.g., graph, diagram, timeline) appropriate for the age/grade level of students?
- Is a test item appropriate for the age/grade level of students?
- Is a test item aligned with the targeted content standard(s)?
- Are the scoring rules (rubrics) for open-response items aligned with the targeted content standard(s)?
- Does a test item present a realistic task to students?
- Will students’ responses to a test item provide information that is useful to teachers for identifying students’ strengths and needs and to plan instruction?
- Is a mathematics test item mathematically correct?
- Is the content of an ELA passage factually correct?
On the morning of the first day, Measured Progress content specialists will provide training on these criteria and on review procedures. Panelists will then review new Measured Progress items and passages, and the specialists will facilitate discussions and capture your feedback.
If you are interested in being considered for one of the item review panels, please complete the online application by April 13, 2018. If invited to participate on a panel, you must commit to attend all three days (June 19-21). Measured Progress will pay a stipend OR substitute reimbursement for meeting attendance, and will reimburse travel expenses that conform to the guidelines we will provide to selected panelists. Applicants will be notified if they are selected or not by April 25, 2018. Selected panelists will need to commit to the panel by May 4, 2018.
For further questions please contact Nancy Godfrey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-624-6775.