The Maine Department of Education is pleased to share a year-long professional learning opportunity for Maine schools, designed to help school leadership teams develop and implement Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) frameworks in their schools.
What is MTSS?
Multi-tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) are comprehensive frameworks designed to address the academic, behavioral, and social-emotional needs of each student in the most inclusive and equitable learning environment. The MTSS framework is driven by strong leadership, policies and practices, family and community engagement, staff collaboration, and data-informed decision-making. Through the implementation of a MTSS framework, districts and schools increase attendance, elevate student engagement, lessen concern about behavior, improve school climate, and boost academic performance.
OBJECTIVE OF MTSS SERIES:
The professional development sessions in this series will provide educators a common understanding of an integrated MTSS Framework to support both academics and behavior. This series builds on the success of several Maine schools, and offers ongoing statewide technical assistance. With the support of the presenters, participating school teams will:
- Become familiar with the essential components of the MTSS framework;
- Be guided through developing their own MTSS framework;
- Be provided tools to use within their own school for professional development; and
- Have a plan to implement their MTSS framework in the 2020-2021 school year.
The school leadership teams attending this series will work between sessions with their school faculty. This will ensure that school faculty is informed and has a voice in the creation of this framework. The facilitators will also be checking in with the team between sessions to lend support and to be a resource for the continued development of their MTSS framework.
OVERVIEW OF SESSIONS
Session 1: October 22nd and October 23rd at Jeff’s Catering in Brewer Maine.
Day One: LEADERSHIP
– Overview of MTSS
– Roles of Shared Leadership and Shared Responsibility
– Exploring the Why
– Equity and Cultural Shifts
– Role of Data
– Layered Continued Support
– Presentation by Garret Schenck Leadership Team
Day Two: FOUNDATIONAL SUPPORTS for Academic and Behavior
– Tier 1: Core Curriculum
– Universal Screener
– Progress Monitoring
– Assessment Reasoning
– Equity for all
Session 2: Regional Groups- November 2019
DATA, LITERACY AND SUPPORTS
– Data Literacy by Shelly Simpson
– Tier 2 and Tier 3
– Introduction to Individual Learning Plans
– Equity and Data
Session 3: Regional Groups February 2020
EVIDENCE BASED PRACTICES
– What and When
– Individual Learning Plan update
– Supports in creating a master schedule
– Examination of Professional Development
– Equity and Progress Monitoring
– Assessment Reasoning
– Equity and Time
SESSION 4: March 2020
– Engagement Strategies
– Creating the process
– Equity within the Framework
SESSION 5: May 2020
– Schools share their MTSS Framework
The Maine DOE is committed to working with all Maine schools who wish to improve teaching and learning. As such, DOE will cover costs for the actual MTSS sessions, texts, and materials that will be used throughout the year. Schools or districts are responsible for travel costs and a fee of $125 per person to help defray expenses for refreshments and lunches for all sessions. For recertification purposes, contact hours will be awarded to MTSS participants.
If interested in joining other schools in creating a Multi-Tiered System of Supports for your school or district, please submit your application by October 15, 2019.