ADMINISTRATIVE LETTER: 32
POLICY CODE: DB
TO: Superintendents of Schools
FROM: Stephen L. Bowen, Commissioner of Education
DATE: March 10, 2011
RE: FY 2011-2012 Budget Reporting – Due August 25, 2011
The MEDMS Financial System is ready to accept your FY 2011-2012 budget data. In addition to the MEDMS files, school administrative districts, community school districts and regional school units also need to submit a spreadsheet supplement to the MEDMS Financial System, to provide detail of the budget’s local share as assessed to each member town.
The spreadsheet is available at:
Municipal school units and alternative organizational structures only need to submit the required MEDMS Financial files; the supplemental spreadsheet does not apply to these two types of governance structures.
The following additional documents are available at the link below, to assist you in your budget process:
- Common Errors in Budget Articles – please review this document to avoid these errors, many of which can lead to an audit citing.
- Suggested Articles to Appropriate Monies for School Budgets for the Fiscal Year.
- Year-End Balances (explanation and sample calculation of the penalty for unallocated balances in excess of 3%).
- Budget Category Template and Account Filters for Budget Categories.
- School Appropriations Amounts by Month for Fiscal Year 2011-2012 (sample form for monthly assessment amounts).
- Assessment of School Administrative District Tax (sample form for assessments for member municipalities).
- Assessment of Community School District Tax (sample form for assessments for member municipalities).
- Assessment of Regional School Unit Tax (sample form for assessments for member municipalities).
Statutory information pertaining to budgets may be accessed as follows:
General budget statutes are located in 20-A M.R.S.A. §15690 through §15694. Budget statutes specific to school administrative districts may be found in 20-A M.R.S.A. §1302 through §1309. Budget statutes specific to community school districts may be found in 20-A M.R.S.A. §1701 through §1701-C. Budget statutes specific to regional school units may be found in 20-A M.R.S.A §1482 through §1488. Budget statutes specific to alternative organizational structures may be found in 20-A M.R.S.A §1461-B (3) C.
The timeline for submitting this budget data is within 30 days of the passage of your budget but no later than August 25, 2011. In accordance with 20-A M.R.S.A. §15689-B (7), the following items must be completed and submitted within this timeline:
1. Completion of the following FY 2011-2012 budget files in the MEDMS Financial System:
- Budget Revenue
- Budget Expenditure
2. A copy of the vote declaration to show that the budget was passed. (If available in electronic format, these documents may be uploaded to the MEDMS Financial System as a supplementary document.)
3. A copy of the corresponding warrant or resolution. (If available in electronic format, these documents may be uploaded to the MEDMS Financial System as a supplementary document.)
4. For school administrative districts, community school districts and regional school units only, a completed “Summary of Approved Budget and Report of School Appropriations” spreadsheet for 2011-2012. (This spreadsheet may be uploaded to the MEDMS Financial System as a supplementary document.)
If you have questions or need clarification regarding the FY 2011-2012 budget filing requirements, please contact Joanne Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org