Teachers, school administrators and school-community liaisons working in school districts that have an interest in service-learning or who have experimented with service-learning and want to learn more are encouraged to attend the 2012 Blaine House Conference on Service and Volunteerism Tuesday, October 9 at the University of Maine at Orono.
The keynote speaker will be Wendy Spencer, CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service. Local and national experts in the field of academic service-learning will be presenting engaging workshops on topics that include:
- Institutionalizing service-learning in districts
- Building and sustaining service-learning partnerships with community organizations
- The generation on schools model for incorporating service-learning into your curriculum
- The academic benefits of service-learning
- Connecting the Common Core State Standards and service-learning
- Extended learning opportunities that use service-learning models
Register by September 30 to pay the “early bird” price of $64; after September 30, registration is $85. Financial assistance is available, including 10 full scholarships, and additional assistance is available for participants traveling more than 50 miles to the conference venue.