Six groups informed the Maine Charter School Commission (MCSC) that they plan to submit applications to open public charter schools in Maine. All of the groups hope to open a school in the fall of 2015.
The Commission received letters of intent by the June 25th deadline from the following:
- All of ME Academy, beginning with pre-kindergarten and grade 1, adding a grade in each subsequent school year until the school is grades pre-K-6, Lewiston-Auburn;
- Compass Academy of Science and Exploration , grades K-5, Kennebunk;
- Inspire ME Academy, grades 4, 5, 6 and adding 7 and 8 in the next two years respectively, Sanford/Springvale;
- The Maine International Charter School, grade 9-12, Southern Maine;
- Maine Virtual Academy, grade 7-12, statewide virtual school; and
- Snow Pond Arts Academy, grade 9-12, Sidney.
The notices of intent are available on the MCSC’s website. Completed applications are due to the Commission by August 25.