Resources on Certification Office website
The Maine DOE now provides requirements checklists for each Certification & Subject Endorsements available for educator certification on the Department’s website here: www.maine.gov/doe/cert/initial/requirements.html.
“New” credentialing computer system
Hupp Technologies of Springfield, Illinois has been selected for development of a new automated online teacher initial and renewal certification program. Hupp Technologies has implemented online credentialing systems in eight other states. The Department plans to have the new system online by July 2016.
New hours for in-person visits
Beginning July 1, 2015 – Please note that days and hours have changed for in-person visits:
- In-person visits: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- By phone: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Note: In-person visits will no longer be available on Tuesdays and Thursdays – on these days Certification Office staff will not be available in order to allow time to process applications/renewals in order of receipt and work with the vendor on the new credentialing system.
Policy for processing applications from in-person visits
Members of the public are welcome to bring application materials to the Certification Office between 9:00 am and 3:30 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays where staff will review application packets for completeness. If the application is complete, the appropriate fee will be collected and the materials will be date stamped the day you come in. A file will be made in your name and will be put in the processing drawer. Your file will be evaluated and processed in date order received, and after any other applicant’s files received on a prior date.
- Check the status of your application: visit the MEDMS Report Portal to check your application’s status.
- Certification Home website: http://www.maine.gov/doe/cert/index.html
- Update on Waiver Requests: In lieu of any waiver requests, superintendents will now need to submit to the Certification Office a “Waiver Affidavit” for employment of non-certified/non-certifiable personnel, in position where certification/authorization is required. Superintendents should submit to the Certification Office, at the time of employment or renewal of certificates, the necessary “Affidavit of Employment” on personnel being employed under a Targeted Need or Conditional certificate, or a Transitional Endorsement. A one year Provisional Extension will also require an “Affidavit of Employment.” These forms are available at ww.maine.gov/doe/cert/statutes/.