Teachers from each of Maine’s 16 counties were today honored in Augusta’s State Capitol at an annual event in the Hall of Flags announcing the 2017 Maine County Teachers of the Year. The group is the county finalists for Maine Teacher of the Year, an honor awarded each year to one teacher in Maine.
The educators were each nominated by a member of their community for their exemplary service in education, and dedication to their students. They were selected by a distinguished panel of teachers, principals and business community members from a pool of hundreds of other nominated teachers in their communities.
2017 County Teachers of the Year:
- Androscoggin: Nesrene Griffin, Governor James Longley School
- Aroostook: Leslie Marquis, Fort Kent Community School
- Cumberland: Brooke Teller, Casco Bay High School
- Franklin: Allison Warman, Rangeley Lakes School
- Hancock: Marielle Edgecomb, The Peninsula School
- Kennebec: Lisette Bordes, Messalonskee High School
- Knox: Iris Eichenlaub, Camden Hills Regional High School
- Lincoln: Christopher Coleman, Great Salt Bay Community School
- Oxford: Janet Harriman, Sacopee Valley High School
- Penobscot: Kasie Giallombardo, Nokomis High School
- Piscataquis: Kaitlin Young, SeDoMoCha Elementary School
- Sagadahoc: John Dever, Mt. Ararat High School
- Somerset: Eric Brown, Lawrence High School
- Waldo: Christi Goosman, Searsport District High School
- Washington: Rhonda Stevens, Beatrice Rafferty School
- York: Jen England, Noble High School
Ambassadors for teachers, students, and quality education in Maine, these teachers will continue to participate in the intensive State Teacher of the Year selection process, including the submission of a video showcasing their classroom instructional practices.
The field will be narrowed to eight semi-finalists who will begin working on their professional portfolio, a component of the National Teacher of the Year process. After the portfolio review and presentations to a select panel, the field is narrowed to three finalists. In October, the 2018 Maine Teacher of the Year will be selected after a school site visit and final interview.
The Maine Teacher of the Year is a program of the Maine Department of Education, administered by Educate Maine, a business-led organization working to ensure Maine’s students and workers are the best educated and highly skilled in the world.
For more information, visit www.maine.gov/doe/toy/.