The Maine Department of Education is celebrating National Poetry Month throughout the month of April. Find resources for accessing poetry, prepared lessons, and activities for educators and parents to supplement remote learning, and to celebrate and appreciate the beauty of poetry all month.
Anyone interested can find poetry resources on the Maine DOE Websitesuch as poems to inspire you, helpful links to The National Council of Teachers of English, in addition to a listing of activities the Department is encouraging throughout the month of April.
The Department hopes to encourage poetry celebration and appreciation with themed activities that can be done at home or using social media throughout the month. There will also be poetry specific virtual meetings designed for educators throughout the month.
- April 5th – 18th: Historical Poems and Poems celebrating History
- April 19th – 25th: Earth Day/Nature
- April: 26th – 30th: Creating Poetry
- Read in the round. Select a poem and have each person in your home read a line or a stanza. Practice changing your voice and reading with different emotions.
- Write a poem. Tell a story about something you remember, how you are feeling, or something you wish.
- Create a collage of photos or images with lines from a favorite poem. How does the poem look to you?
Schools, students, and families that would like to participate are encouraged to follow the Maine Department Education’s Facebook and Twitter pages. Tag us in any of your poetry activities this month, we’d love to keep up with what you are doing to celebrate poetry in April!