The School Bus Purchase Program award list for 2012-13 bus purchases is now available on the Maine Department of Education’s Pupil Transportation website.
School districts on the list are approved to purchase the bus or buses listed. Those districts not on the list can apply for the 2013-14 cycle of bus purchase funds between Nov. 1 and 25, 2012.
The list is available at: http://www.maine.gov/education/const/trans/pt005.htm.
The potential for a second round of bus approvals for 2012-13 depends on the level of funding available if there are bus purchase cancellations from school districts on the award list that decide not to purchase. If a second round of funding is available, it would likely be announced this summer.
As school districts prepare to make their purchases, they should note the following:
- This award is intended for buses delivered between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2013.
- Funding begins the year after the bus is purchased.
- Also, to help manage costs, the school bus bids have been extended until June 30, 2012, to allow districts to order their buses before the next bus bid cycle, which begins July 1, 2012.
If you do not plan to purchase a bus that was approved, please complete the School Bus Purchase Cancellation Form (EF-T-20A) as soon as the decision is made. Your swift attention to notify the Department of Education about a cancellation helps prevent subsidy errors and frees up funds for other schools in need of school buses.
If you do purchase a bus, please complete the School Bus Purchase Form (EF-T-20) during the business quarter the bus was purchased.
Find the School Bus Purchase and Purchase Cancellation forms at the following link: http://www.maine.gov/education/const/trans/formspage.htm.
Resources and more information
- Pat Hinckley, School Facilities/Transportation Consultant
Maine Department of Education
- Maine DOE Pupil Transportation website