As a reminder of the legal requirements for providing English as a Second Language (ESL) services to English Learners, the Department refers school district personnel to Administrative Letter 56, issued Sept. 7, 2011.
The letter includes information on:
- Identification of English Learners
- Federal law requirements for an English Learner to receive ESL services
- Exit Criteria from ESL services
- Annual assessment of English Learners’ English language proficiency
- Administration of the ACCESS for ELLs®
- Rights of ELLs
If you have any questions, please contact Nancy Mullins, Director of ESL/Bilingual Programs, at 207-624-6788 or Nancy.Mullins@maine.gov.