As the transition to implementation of the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts and Literacy continues, the Maine Department of Education invites school/district teams to attend a two-day event to explore transition issues and advance professional development plans.
The event, titled “Shifting Policies to Meet Common Goals,” will be conducted by Morgan Dunton and Lee Anne Larsen of the Maine DOE.
Implementing the Common Core requires some shifting of curriculum and instructional practices. This institute will provide teams with support to make these critical shifts.
Teams will learn:
- Strategies for teaching close reading and developing text dependent questions
- Strategies for teaching writing from sources and using evidence effectively
- Methods of vocabulary instruction appropriate to context
- Foundations of Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) methodology
Team working time will be provided at intervals throughout the event. Teams will be supported in using student data to set goals, beginning an inventory of assets, understanding integrated approaches to enhance capacity, and creating a work plan for continuing implementation preparedness.
Teams should consist of:
- A building administrator and/or a district administrator
- Literacy/instructional coaches
- Teachers from each grade span: K-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12
- Content/specialty teachers: special education, English language, all subject areas
Preference will be given to teams with at least three members and capped at 10 members per team. Individual attendance is discouraged. The cost is $75 per person.
- June 25 & 26: University of Maine at Presque Isle
- August 13 & 14: Jeff’s Catering, Brewer
- August 19 & 20: Ramada Inn and Conference Center, Saco