Schools and other educational entities covered by Department of Education Rule Chapter 33 are required to report annually on the use of restraint and seclusion of students. This reporting requirement took effect on July 1, 2012, as part of the comprehensive revision of Rule Chapter 33.
The first annual report is due July 15, 2013, and must be made through Survey Monkey. Reporting in subsequent years will likely be incorporated into MEDMS or other existing reporting methods. Access the survey at www.surveymonkey.com/s/MRRMSH8.
For the period of July 1, 2012, to June 30, 2013, the following data must be reported:
- The aggregate number of physical restraints
- The number of students placed in physical restraint
- The aggregate number of seclusions
- The number of students placed in seclusion
- The number of serious bodily injuries to students related to physical restraint and seclusion
- The number of serious bodily injuries to school staff related to physical restraint and seclusion
Definitions for each of these data elements are included in the introduction to the survey.
Any questions about this report should be directed to Jonathan Braff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 624-6644.