The following Priority Notice was sent Monday, April 11
Monday, April 11
I am writing to remind you that registration is open for our 105th Annual Commissioner’s Conference for Superintendents, scheduled for June 26-28 at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor. School board members and other school or district level administrators are encouraged to register for the conference based on their interest (please see the draft agenda below).
We’re excited about how the agenda – developed in collaboration with the Maine School Superintendents Association – is coming together to best focus on the topics we continue to hear are of most importance to you and are looking forward to working with you.
Draft conference agenda to include:
Sunday, June 26 (Registration opens at 2 p.m.)
Maine School Superintendents Association (MSSA) Reception and Awards Banquet
(Networking reception sponsored by Apple – 5 p.m./Dinner – 6 p.m./Awards – 7 p.m.)
Monday, June 27 (Registration opens at 7:15 a.m. and breakfast opens at 7:45 a.m.)
Commissioner’s Welcome, Acting Education Commissioner Dr. Bill Beardsley
Keynote Address by Dr. David Silvernail with comments by Catherine Barbour, Carmen Coleman and Jacinda Goodwin
Concurrent Sessions – Continue the keynote discussion with one of the experts
- Dr. David Silvernail – View Dr. Silvernail’s bio here (PDF, 92KB)
- Catherine Barbour – View Ms. Barbour’s bio here (PDF, 90KB)
- Carmen Coleman – View Ms. Coleman’s bio here (PDF, 189KB)
ESSA – Stakeholder Engagement and Discussions
Networking reception sponsored by HP
Dinner on your own
Tuesday, June 28 (Registration and Breakfast open at 7:15 a.m. Conference adjourns at 3:45 p.m.)
MSSA Business Meeting
Maine DOE Updates, Maine DOE Staff (General Session)
FERPA 101 – Dale King, Director of the U.S. Dept. of Education’s Family Policy Compliance Office
Concurrent Workshop Sessions (each session will be offered twice)
- Certification – After the Cliff / Rules and Regulations Changes / Higher Education and Teacher Preparation
- Essential Programs and Services – Interim Reports
- Learning Through Technology – A Demonstration by Maine Schools / Leveraging Technology to Support Proficiency-based Diploma Work
Concurrent Workshop Sessions (same as listed above)
Lunch and closing remarks, Acting Education Commissioner Dr. Bill Beardsley
One-on-One Technical Assistance will be offered on Tuesday from 8:00am – 3:00pm
- School Finance and Data Teams
- School Transportation
- School Construction – Revolving Renovation Funds / Application
- Small group discussion with Catherine Barbour, Carmen Coleman, David Silvernail and Maine DOE staff
*Please note this is a working agenda.
Presenters are already working to prepare their conference materials, which will be posted as they become available here on the 2016 Commissioner’s Conference webpage.
To register for the conference, please click here today. The fee for superintendents to attend the full conference is $200 and includes all sessions, meals and materials. For additional registration options including partial conference attendance, guest meals and discounted lodging opportunities, please click here.
We look forward to working with you June 26-28 in Bangor.
Bill Beardsley, Acting Commissioner
Maine Department of Education