Please note the original location of the Oct. 25 training has changed and will now be held in Brewer. As of Oct. 5, the Oct. 24 session remains open; all slots have been filled for Oct. 25.
The Maine DOE’s Special Services division will provide a free, professional development opportunity for education technicians working within special education. For convenience, the one-day training will occur in two separate locations in October.
- Oct. 24 at the Italian Heritage Center, 40 Westland Avenue in Portland
- Oct. 25 at Jeff’s Catering Banquet and Convention Center, 15 Littlefield Way in Brewer (new location – registration closed)
Both trainings are scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., with a working lunch provided at 11:30 a.m.
The day’s agenda will include guest speakers’ input on the following discussions:
- What is my responsibility in implementing an Individualized Education Program (IEP)?
- Core characteristics of ASD, ED and OHI
- Implementing educational and behavioral accommodations
- Using prompting, chaining, task analysis reinforcement and visual supports
- What is a Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP)?
- Where do you go from here?
This professional development opportunity is funded via the Maine State Personnel Development Grant.