Some public and private schools may have school buses eligible for Maine’s Volkswagen (VW) settlement allocation. The U.S. District Court in Northern California approved a partial consent decree to settle allegations that VW had installed defective devices on 2.0 and 3.0-liter diesel vehicles sold or leased in the United States. Maine’s VW settlement allocation totals just over $21 million dollars. Individuals and entities that have an interest in applying for Maine VW Environmental Mitigation Settlement funds are encouraged to submit a completed application.
- Round one application due date is September 15, 2018
- Eligible school buses include 2009 engine model year or older and class 4 school buses
- Applicants for funding must use the fillable application form available at: https://www1.maine.gov/mdot/vw/application/
- Maine anticipates several application rounds for competitive Appendix D-2 qualifying actions. Approximately $2million will be distributed to qualifying proponents during round 1; however, the State of Maine reserves the option to adjust the total distribution based on applications received.
- Decision criteria are included in the application.
Maine Department of Transportation (DOT) is the lead State agency for Maine’s VW settlement. If you have any questions, please contact Maine Department of Transportation’s Judy Gates by email at Judy.Gates@maine.gov , or visit Maine’s VW settlement website: http://www.maine.gov/mdot/vw/ for more information.