The Maine Department if Education is celebrating the Maine Educators Information System’s (MEIS) one year anniversary. MEIS has officially been in production for one year as of November 14, 2018. Over the course of the past year the following has occurred:
- All applications have been processed internally by the Maine DOE in the new system.
- The increase in data entry has allowed for data analysis never available prior to having MEIS in place.
- All superintendents have online access to educator credentials and violations.
- All certification chairpersons can recommend educators for renewal completely online.
- All educators can now renew their credentials online.
- 40,866 applications have been processed in the last 365 days! The chart below breaks down the application types:
Next steps for MEIS:
- Add an upload button so that educators can upload their supplemental documents outside of the application process and,
- Roll out the ability for educators to complete initial applications online.
Stay tuned for these features in the near future.
Important Updates and Reminders for Educators:
- All educators who have not yet created an account in the new online certification system are encouraged to do so. By creating an account, educators are ensuring the certification team has the most recent contact information available. Step by step instructions on how to create an account are available on the certification site.
- Please ensure applications are complete upon submission with all test scores, transcripts, and other supporting documentation. Submitting incomplete applications or parts of applications at different times will result in significant delays in processing, beyond the typical processing time.
- The Department would like anyone who has gotten a fingerprint to call the certification office at 624-6603 two days (or more) after completing your fingerprinting at IdentoGO. Placing this quick call will allow the Department to efficiently process your application.
- Conditional certificates will now be issued without securing employment. It is important to note that the conditional certificate is only active for three years and cannot be renewed. For this reason, educators who call to request the conditional must understand that it is a commitment to fulfill deficiencies within a three-year time limit.
For more information about the Maine DOE certification and fingerprinting process please visit the Certification webpage on the Department’s website.