The Maine DOE has teamed up with OmKids and Radiant Beginnings to offer a 2-hour, in-person training on a video-based mindfulness and stress relief curriculum to support students’ and teachers’ emotional health. This opportunity is available to a small number of Maine schools that include PreK through grade 5 and are available to implement youth mindfulness during the spring of 2018-19 school year. Youth mindfulness has been shown to improve attention stability, compassion, and emotional balance when practiced regularly.
In a southern Maine pilot, OmKids and Radiant Beginnings found that implementing program activities for as little as 5 minutes a day for 8 weeks led to:
- Overall stress reduction (decreased for 94% of students)
- Emotional distress reduction (decreased for 44% of students)
- Fewer behavioral difficulties (decreased for 31% of students)
- Fewer hyperactivity and concentration difficulties (decreased for 63% of students)
- Fewer difficulties getting along with other children (decreased for 63% of students)
If your school is interested in an opportunity to bring youth mindfulness to your teachers and students, please complete this interest survey for the Maine DOE to review. The survey will close on March 1. You will be notified if your school has been chosen to implement youth mindfulness by March 8.
For more information, please contact Sarah Adkins, Student Assistance Coordinator, at email@example.com or 624-6685.