The Maine Department of Education (MDOE), in partnership with event sponsor University of New England (UNE), is holding a repeat event due to the great response and success of our January Trauma Informed Readiness and Response Workshop.
Interested schools who are ready to pull together their schools’ Response and Readiness Plan, and who have not already participated in this workshop, are encouraged to apply for this FREE event, scheduled for Thursday, March 19th, 2020 at UNE, Innovation Hall located at 772 Stevens Ave Portland.
About the Workshop
Selected school teams will participate in an interactive workshop with their team of three. The day will be focused on Trauma Informed Response and Readiness, with the outcome of each team developing their own plan, or Road Map, that will help guide their school in these areas. Selected teams are eligible for mileage reimbursement and stipends for any substitutes needed for this event.
This event pulls from our January wait list, so if you have previously applied, you need not apply again. In addition, there is still room for new applications! Based on demand for this event, MDOE may explore future locations to replicate this informative and collaborative event.
Please submit your application through the link below for consideration by Friday, February 28, 2020. A few things to note for this event:
- Only school level teams will be accepted, districts are welcome to apply for more than one team, however all exercises are intended for school level preparedness. Schools will sit together at the event.
- As this event is slated to reach capacity, unfortunately, teams should consist of a minimum and maximum of 3; please ensure one of the three is listed as the primary contact for the event.
- All accepted applications will be placed in the order they are received, until event capacity is reached. MDOE requests that any changes in the applicant’s ability to participate be relayed as soon as possible to allow others to move up on the list.
- Schools interested in applying should access their readiness for the intensive work planned during this workshop. A good resource for acquiring some initial understanding around this topic can be found at: http://www.cassieyackleypsyd.com/creating-trauma-sensitive-schools-a-primer.html
- Selected teams should bring with them a school invoice for any mileage or substitute costs they would like reimbursed.
Trauma Informed Readiness and Response Workshop Agenda
- 8:00 – 8:30 am ~ Registration / Coffee
- 8:30 – 9:15 am ~ Welcome and Introduction, Expectations/ Overview
- 9:15 – 9:45 am ~ Trauma Informed Practices: Take Home Seminars
- 9:45 – 10:00 am ~ Break
- 10:00 – 11:15 am ~ Trauma Informed Perspective and School Culture
- 11:15 am – 12:00 pm ~ Trauma Informed Readiness and Preparation Road Map Intro
- 12:00 – 12:45 pm ~ Lunch
- 12:45 – 1:30 pm ~ Mental Health Systems: fmr. Chief Justice John Broderick
- 1:30 – 2:15 pm ~ Team Development of TIRR Road Map
- 2:15 – 2:30 pm ~ Break
- 2:30 – 3:00 pm ~ Team Planning Process for Continuing the Road Map at Your School
- 3:00 – 3:30 pm ~ Trauma Informed Practices: Take Home Seminars
- 3:30 – 4:00 pm ~ Resources and Next Steps
For more information, please reach out to Bear Shea, LCSW with our Office of School and Student Supports at email@example.com.