Maine is extending the deadline for applications from educators who want to vet resources for the Smarter Balanced Digital Library – an online, interactive clearinghouse with resources, tools and professional learning opportunities to help educators use data from a comprehensive assessment system to tailor instruction to best meet student needs. The library is seen as an important tool in the growing body of resources for teachers and administrators in an integrated system of rigorous standards and high quality assessments that work together to prepare students to leave high school ready for college and career.
Educators with significant experience in formative assessment and deep knowledge of the Common Core State Standards are encouraged to apply to join Maine’s State Network of Educators, which is charged with reviewing resources for the library. We invite K-12 teachers and administrators and higher educational professionals with experience working with the following student populations to apply: general education, gifted and talented, English language learners and students with disabilities.
Selected educators will collaborate with our State Leadership Team to:
- Participate in five trainings between September 2013 and September 2014
- Submit and review resources for the Smarter Balanced Digital Library
- Provide valuable feedback on the usability of the Digital Library application
For their service, selected educators will get early access to the Digital Library resources and innovative collaboration tools and a stipend of up to $1,500. Minimum criteria for payment are as follows:
- Attend/complete each of five trainings
- Submit resources into the Digital Library after each of the five trainings:
- Submit at least one resource that is approved for the Digital Library after each of trainings 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Review at least three resources in the Digital Library after each of the five trainings
- Submit at least one resource after Training 1
All qualified educators are invited to apply. The open application period runs through Monday, June 14. If you would like to be considered, please submit your application no later than June 14. Please note, however, that we will evaluate applications on a rolling basis. To begin your application, visit the Maine State Network of Educators Online Application.
More detailed information is available at: www.maine.gov/doe/smarter/index.html#digital.
- Susan Fossett
State Assessment Coordinator
Maine Department of Education