New and experienced gifted and talented educators will have a chance to learn new skills and practices at upcoming mentoring workshops in Bangor and Augusta sponsored by the Maine DOE.
The workshop will consist of two strands: a full-day strand for new educators and an advanced strand for experienced teachers and administrators in the afternoon only.
- The new-educator strand will offer a question-and-answer workshop designed for teachers and administrators who have been working in the field of gifted and talented education for one or two years, or for those in a newly restructured district. Attendees are encouraged to come with questions and share resources. The workshop topics will include identification tools; curriculum options; organizing and managing gifted and talented programs; evaluating program effectiveness; and reviewing this year’s application, plan and budget forms. Patti Drapeau, educational consultant in gifted education for the Maine DOE, will be the facilitator for this strand. Contact her for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The advanced strand will be meeting concurrently with the new educator strand in the afternoon to address particular questions, concerns and challenges that the participants bring to the workshop. The topics should be far-reaching given that experienced attendees will be coming from rural and urban communities, small and large schools, and new or established programs. Examples of topics that may be of interest include dual exceptionalities, K-2 programming, consultation and changing the focus of an established program. Lee Worcester, consultant in gifted education for the Maine DOE, will be the facilitator for this strand. You may suggest a topic for discussion by contacting her before Nov. 1 at email@example.com or 207-943-8804.
The mentoring workshops will be held Nov. 13 and 20, free of charge. The same information will be presented on both workshop days. Choose one of the following events:
- Nov. 13, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
United Technology Center, 200 Hogan Road, Bangor
Please register by Nov. 1
- Nov. 20, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Augusta Armory, 179 Western Ave., Augusta
Please register by Nov. 7
To register, complete this online form. Lunch will not be provided at either workshop.
- Please forward registration questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maine DOE Gifted and Talented