As part of the Maine Department of Education’s efforts to ensure that new and conditionally certified teachers have access to high quality peer support, some changes were made to Chapter 180: Performance Evaluation and Professional Growth Systems.
These changes are contained in a new Section (11) of Chapter 180: Peer Support and Mentoring, and accomplish the following:
- Retain a level of peer support and feedback for all teachers and principals.
- Establish a mentor/coach component for all newly hired and conditionally certified teachers.
- Differentiate peer support requirements to provide greater support for new and conditionally certified teachers.
- Provide greater, more structured support for conditionally certified special education teachers.
- Provide the SAU with flexibility in establishing mentor and coach qualifications as well as assigning mentors and coaches to better target educator needs.
- Sharpen the line between peer support components and evaluation components
The revised Chapter 180, with an effective date of June 3, 2018 can be found here.
A resource outlining the parameters can be found by visiting the Educator Effectiveness website or by clicking here.
The Maine DOE guidance encourages districts to have documentation of a peer support and mentoring component by the PEPG Steering Committee. Districts should have a plan for peer support and mentoring in place as close as possible to the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year. Either this sample document or a more detailed document created by the PEPG Steering Committee should stay on file with the district. It does not need to be submitted to the DOE at this time.
For additional information please contact Emily Gribben at Emily.email@example.com, or call 624-6748.