Rule Chapter 115 has been withdrawn at this time. Click here for more information.
As part of the Maine Department of Education’s efforts to streamline and clarify certification processes for Maine educators, the Department is proposing revisions to Rule Chapter 115: Credentialing of Educational Personnel, Parts I and II. The revisions:
- Align rule with recent statutory changes;
- Integrate Part I Part II for better articulation, clarity, and usability;
- Remove redundant and unnecessary language;
- Refine grade spans to allow for flexibility in hiring and mobility of credentialed teachers;
- Remove 029 (K-3) endorsement as the requirements closely parallel those of the 020 (K-8) endorsement; the 029 is rarely sought; and those denied a 029 endorsement often apply and qualify for the 020 endorsement;
- Remove additional endorsements that are no longer applicable; and
- Define a pathway that qualifies an eligible candidate to teach based on a combination of a four-year degree, work experience, and education coursework.
Find the details for proposed changes for Rule Chapter 115 on the Maine DOE Proposed Rule & Rule Changes webpage (proposed rules are listed in order by rule number).
Public Hearing Information for Rule Chapter 115:
November 15, 2018 from 9:00 – 11:00 AM.
Room 103 A and B in the Cross State Office Building, 111 Sewall Street, Augusta, Maine
People wishing to speak will be asked to sign in and, preferably, provide two written copies of their comments. Anyone unable to attend the public hearing may send written comments.
Comment Period Deadline: December 3, 2018
Comments can be submitted to Stephanie Fyfe at Stephanie.Fyfe@maine.gov