The Maine Department of Education invites all educators, Kindergarten to Grade 12, to participate in a two-part webinar series on Nurturing Speaking Growth for students who are English learners. Facilitated by Terri Mosgrove of WIDA, this webinar series is designed to support all educators who would like to explore the connection between the ACCESS Speaking Test and classroom practices that promote oral language development.
Participants will explore the underpinnings of the Speaking Test in a self-paced module that allows for choice and control. In each webinar, participants will engage in meaning making activities that provide ways to nurture students’ speaking growth. Participants will be asked to speak and share ideas with colleagues within the virtual event.
By engaging in the eWorkshop, participants will:
- Apply the underpinnings of the Speaking Assessment to classroom practice
- Connect the Key Language Uses to instructional practices in speaking
- Explore the impact of holding the floor for extended classroom discourse
- Choose Teacher Moves to support student voice
- Develop an ear for language to support precision decisions.
Dates: 10.19.21 and 10.26.21
Register here – closes on 10.11.21.
Note that these webinars will not be recorded, per WIDA policy, and alternate tasks will be provided for registered participants who are unable to attend. If you have any questions, please contact April Perkins, World Languages & ESOL/Bilingual Programs Specialist, at email@example.com.