Our teachers and administrators are spending more and more time in their school buildings this month preparing for the beginning of a new school year.
In some of our districts, students will return to those buildings as soon as next week.
What does all of that mean? Quite simply, the end of summer is in sight.
As you gear up for a new academic year, the Commissioner’s Update this week returns to a weekly publication schedule; the next edition will come out Aug. 18.
Today, we bring you news from some of the many trainings our educators attended this summer, our latest thinking here at the Department of Education with regard to seeking a waiver from some of the provisions of the No Child Left Behind law, and — as always — need-to-know information for the personnel who keep our school districts running behind the scenes.
— Stephen Bowen
- ADMIN LTR: New State-Required Special Education Form for Adverse Effect
- ADMIN LTR: Superintendent Agreements and Review by Commissioner
- NOTICE: DOE seeks website feedback
- NOTICE: DOE seeks input on data collection
- NOTICE: Maine Course Pathways available to more schools
- NOTICE: DOE offers example IEP transition plans
- NOTICE: Revised IEP document available online
- REPORTING: Food Service Requirements, Aug. 15
- REPORTING: End-of-Year Financial Reports, Aug. 25
- REPORTING: CARES (EFS-10) Special Purpose Private School Year End Package, Aug. 31
- REPORTING: Local Entitlement Year End Report (formerly EF-S-09E), Sept. 1
- REPORTING: Inventory of Hazardous Chemicals, Sept. 1
- REPORTING: Pesticide Notice for Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Plans, Sept. 1
- REPORTING: Chemical Hygiene Plan, Sept. 1
- REPORTING: Transportation Data for Out-of-District Special Education, Homeless and CTE Students, Sept. 15
- REPORTING: Title VI Rural Low-Income Performance Report, Sept. 15
- REPORTING: Application for Leased and Lease-Purchased Instructional Space, Sept. 15
- REPORTING: Application for Conversion of Approved Leased Space to Permanent Space, Sept. 15
- REPORTING: Local Entitlement Application (formerly EF-S-08), Sept. 15
- REPORTING: EF-M-240 Year End Report of Private Schools, Sept. 15
- REPORTING: Special Education Tuition Report EF-S-07, Sept. 16
NEWS & VIEWS
We need to move beyond No Child Left Behind, but we can’t count on the U.S. Congress to get us where we need to go anytime soon. By Stephen Bowen | More
The four-day Maine Arts Assessment Institute helped 18 teachers of the arts advance the work of motivating students to become learners for life. By Jennifer Nash | More
The 150 educators who attended the Maine Learning Technology Initiative Summer Institute delved into a range of topics that addressed enhancing learning through technology. By Tim Follo | More
- Upcoming training for early childhood educators
- Grant opportunities available online
- 3 named Teacher of the Year finalists